Planes of Power
Alternate Tiefling Features
Tieflings on the planes are hardly a homogeneous group, descending from a plethora of fiends. Their appearance and abilities are unique from individual to individual. Players of tiefling PCs may opt to roll on either or both of the following tables (or just choose selections from those tables). If you take a Fiendish Gift, it replaces your Infernal Legacy trait.
TIEFLING APPEARANCE (D100, ROLL OR CHOOSE 3 [1D4+1] TIMES)
8-9. Long thin face
10-12. Strange mouth (forked tongue, bloody lips, pointed teeth, fangs)
13-15. Strange ear (pointed, fan-like, unnoticeable)
16-17. Strange nose (hooked, squashed, very long)
18-26. Strange eyes (burning iris, all black, deep-set, feline, viper, unnatural color)
27-31. Garishly colored hair
32-35. Strange hands (three fingers, six fingers on left hand, claws, rakshasa hands, etc.)
36-39. Long gangly limbs and emaciated appearance
40-43. Vestigial bat-like wings
44-49. Goat-like hooves and legs
50-55. Tail (long and thin, horse, lizard, scorpion, rat)
56-58. Spiny ridges along back, possible elsewhere
59-62. Inexplicable burn marks appear on body
63-66. Covered in fiendish runes tattooed on skin
67-69. No body hair whatsoever
70-72. Molts skin periodically like a snake
73-75. Ashen shadowy skin
76-78. Skin always caked with dried blood
77-83. Scaly or leathery skin
84-87. Blue, green, red, or purple-tinted skin
88-89. Gender ambiguous
90. Skin crawls with strange light beneath it
91. Leaves behind steaming footprints or footprints filled with insects
92. Weeps tears of blood or mild acid
93. Emits a rotting or sulfurous odor
94. Ash and cinder follow in the tiefling’s wake
95. Has no shadow and/or casts no reflection
96. Tiefling’s presence causes unease in natural animals
97. Tiefling’s presence withers plants
98. Sunlight (or moonlight) reveals the tiefling’s actual hideous face
99. Shadow of knife edge across the face
100. Pained when entering holy areas and holy water inflicts damage as if a fiend. Never discomfited by “unholy” places.
1. Amoral. All attempts (mundane or magical) to ascertain your true motives, alignment, faction, allegiance, or deity fail outright.
2. Devil’s Own. Devil blood runs in your veins. You can see in magical darkness as if it were dim light using your darkvision. At 3rd level you can cast detect evil and good once per day. At 5th level you can cast heat metal once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability.
3. Demon Spawn. Demon blood runs in your veins. You are immune to Abyssal corruption and can automatically sense the presence of demons and their influence. At 3rd level you can cast detect evil and good once per day. At 5th level you can cast shatter once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability. Instead of Infernal you know the Abyssal language.
4. Fiendish Resistance. Gain resistance to acid, cold, lightning, or poison damage (your choice). This is in addition to a tiefling’s normal fire resistance.
5. Hag Spawn. The blood of night hags runs in your veins. You can cast vicious mockery at will. At 3rd level you can cast detect magic once per day, or you may cast it as a ritual which doesn’t count against your once per day usage limit. At 5th level you can cast sleep (at 2nd level) once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability.
6. Infernal Wrath. When you’re not at full hit points, you can draw on your inner fury to gain
advantage on your attack roll or impose disadvantage on an enemy’s saving throw against a spell you cast. After you use Infernal Wrath you must take a short or long rest before you can use it again.
7. Liar’s Tongue. Gain proficiency in Deception, and you are immune to zone of truth or any spell, magic, or poison compelling you to speak the truth.
8. Menacing Mien. Gain proficiency in Intimidation, and you can make your eyes glow like candles and your voice sound supernaturally menacing when you desire.
9. Plane-Touched. When on the Lower Planes, you are immune to any psychic dissonance for being good-aligned, and you have an intuitive sense of special conditions and optional rules governing that plane (see DMG 57-66). You also have advantage on Intelligence checks to recall lore about the Lower Planes.
10. Rakshasa Blooded. Rakshasa blood runs in your veins. You can cast minor illusion at-will. At 3rd level you can cast disguise self once per day. At 5th level you can cast detect thoughts once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability.
11. Succubus Born. Succubus blood runs in your veins. You can cast friends at-will. At 3rd level you can cast charm person once per day. At 5th level you can cast alter self once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability.
12.Yugoloth Blooded. The treacherous blood of yugoloths runs in your veins. You gain telepathy (100 feet). At 3rd level you can cast hex once per day. At 5th level you can cast darkness once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability.