Planes of Power
Shadar-kai, sometimes called shadow fey, are a race of shadow-like humanoids connected to the Demiplane of Shadow.
Shadar-kai are humanoid and usually slightly taller than average humans. They have gray skin and dark eyes. Shadows on their bodies or clothing always seemed to be deeper and darker than shadows elsewhere. Shadar-kai often have body piercings and tattoos.
Shadar-kai are subject to the “Shadow Curse”: When shadar-kai are stunned or knocked unconscious, part of their soul returns to the Shadowfell. A shadar-kai missing parts of its soul is weakened. The curse makes shadar-kai bitter and prevents many from leaving the Shadowfell.
Because of their fatalistic belief systems, shadar-kai generally have no fear of death. Most shadar-kai believe that their deaths are foretold and impossible to change. Shadar-kai were often seen as cold and pitiless to outsiders.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Intelligence score increases by 1.
- Age. Shadar-Kai age similarly to humans, but their attachment to the Shadowfell gives them longer life. They typically live to about 125.
- Alignment. Many Shadar-Kai are neutral evil, but lone Shadar-kai who have left the Shadowfell are most often neutral. Despite these tendencies, Shadar-Kai of all alignments can be found.
- Size. Shadar-Kai are about the same size as humans. Your size is medium.
- Speed. Base walking speed is 30 ft.
- Naturally Stealthy. Shadar-Kai are naturally stealthy; you are proficient with the Stealth skill.
- Shadar-Kai Weapon training. You are proficient with the spiked chain. The spiked chain does 2d4 damage and has the finesse, two-handed, and reach properties.
- Shadow Movement. So long as you are not in bright light, you can cast the Misty step spell. You can do this once per short or long rest.
- Shadowfell taint. Shadar-Kai have long lived with the terrible conditions of the demiplane of Shadow. Due to this, you are resistant to Necrotic damage.
- Darkvision. Due to generations on the Shadowfell, Shadar-Kaican see well in the dark. You have 120’ darkvision.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language.
- Shadow Curse. Shadar-Kai suffer from two effects based on their origins. First, they suffer from Sunlight sensitivity (see the drow feature). Second, when a Shadar-Kai is stunned or knocked unconscious, they gain a level of exhaustion. These levels are cumulative. Fortunately, all levels of exhaustion gained in this way go away with a single, long rest. Shadar-Kai are only affected by this curse when they are away from the Shadowfell.